Sunday, January 9, 2011

Design Book

In college my teacher was all nuts about a designer needing to change the world with their design, with each design. Each thing you created needed to have a message somewhere for something beyond just being good design and accomplishing what the design was supposed to do.

He also thought that freelance was always the way to go, but I disagreed. I wanted to be part of a company. Have a nice work place, a nice group of people to work with, health insurance, a desk and some set work hours. It just felt more secure to me.

But one of our text books was about having your design make a statement besides just the original concept. I think this was more about rock band posters or things like that. I wound up having an affinity for magazine layout and logo design. I can hardly change the world from an InDesign template and some putzing around in Illustrator.

I never really did agree with some of his idea, and I confess, I was not all that interested in reading the book. It was a class requirement to purchase, but never required to actually read. Other than skimming here and there, I barely opened the cover.


I always said I would read the book later, but find myself totally uninterested now.

So goodbye Book.

No comments:

Post a Comment