I am waiting. Waiting to start this thing before I begin tossing stuff out. I could toss things right now, I know where a bunch of stuff is that I want to be rid of. I did not put it there in preparation for this blog, but I know it is there. It taunts me with its presence.
Do I toss it now and risk running out of things I am willing to do without?
I think it can live there in the closet until I start this.
In other news, I have made a chore calendar for me and my husband. He needed some reminders of what needed to happen and when. I have already found a few flaws in it, things happening two days in a row that only need to happen every 2 or 3 days. I will mark it up this month and then remake it for next month.
One of the chores I added was called "Tidy Up"
For that chore you spend just 5-10 minutes looking around you and finding what does not belong where it is currently existing, and you put it where it belongs. Things like the screwdriver on the desk that can go live with the other tools in the garage. The socks on the floor under the desk can go be in the dirty laundry bin. The blankets tossed on the couch can be folded and put neatly on the back of the couch. The Neosporin can go back into the medicine cabinet, the baby Tylenol can go back in the diaper bag... things like that.
I find that he and I both can become somewhat oblivious to things that are out of place. Or say "I didn't put it there, so I don't have to put it away" but if we are going to keep this house clean enough to have a free range toddler rampaging through all the common areas then we both need to be willing to do it just because we know where it goes.
I also made a list of House Rules.
If you take it out, put it away
If you see it needs to be done, do it
If you spill it, wipe it up
If you bring it in, take it back out
If you use it, put it back where you found it
If you start it, finish it
If you open it, close it when you are done
If you make it dirty, clean it
If you drop it, pick it up
If you use the last of it, replace it
If it is trash, put it in the trash bin
If it doesn't have a home yet, find one that makes sense
If you don't know, ask for an idea
If you need help, ask for it
If you want a hug, come get one.
It was inspired by this rule list that I saw in my Uncle's house for his girls.. I don't remember how it all went, but there were some that stuck with me. "If it breaks, fix it" for one, and the last one on it, "If it cries, comfort it"
It seemed a little impersonal in a way with the "It" factor, but I suppose you could put pets and people into it, if it is an it.
I think that if we can stick to actually doing these chores and making the house stay somewhat tidy it will be easier to reduce clutter because things will not get lost in the mess.
I will just have to wait and see if it works!
No comments:
Post a Comment